The February 2008 issue of Library Sparks has a small section on intellectual freedom with a link to a four-page brochure, written for children in fifth grade and up. http://www.ala.org/ala/alsc/alscpubs/KidsKnowYourRights.pdf The brochure is great for educating a young person about their rights. Moreover, I think it educates them that there are times when their rights are infringed upon. I doubt that most middle school aged kids ever consider intellectual freedom.
When I had a display last year for banned books week, I discussed the idea of banned and challenged books with a few of our young patrons. They hadn't seemed to have heard of the idea that some books were removed from school and public libraries because some parents thought the material was questionable. You know what? I'm so very glad that they hadn't heard of such a crazy notion.
I think talking to kids about intellectual freedom is a great idea. I think it might be like talking to kids about drinking, sex, cigarettes or drugs. Have the talk earlier than you need to so they'll have an idea of what to do when the situation arises.
The First Amendment is printed on the brochure and there are suggested titles for further reading. There are both fiction and nonfiction titles listed. I don't think leaving the brochure laying around in my public library would produce any results. However, programs (with food included!) might be a possibility to discuss intellectual freedom with kids.
Sunday, January 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This is a terrific post! Thanks for the link of the brochure. So many children have never heard of the idea that a book can banned or removed because of its content! I think the brochure should be made available within the library especially in the Young Adult section. Perhaps near the brochures on "electronic resources" or "how to search the catalog." But I agree, a program with lots of refreshments would be a great way to get the youth involved and give them access to the concept of intellectual freedom.
I agree with Dawn, Mary. Great post! It's never too early to starting educating our children about intellectual freedom.
Post a Comment