Sunday, January 20, 2008

Proposed changes to Code of Ethics

The ALA held an open hearing 1/13/08 from 4-6pm to discuss the proposed changes to the ALA Code of Ethics. While they dedicated 2 hours to discuss these changes, I will attempt to discuss them succinctly here, ", for the ,". The memorandum can be viewed here: http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/ifgroups/cope/copeinaction/changestocode.htm. The first paragraph reads, "ALA's Code of Ethics will be 70 years old in 2009. In anticipation of this important anniversary, the Committee on Professional Ethics (COPE) sponsored programs at the annual conferences from 2004 to 2006 to explore the need for revising the Code in light of new association policies and issues facing the profession." (italics added) It's hard to believe that adding 2 commas and removing the words "for the" satisfies the need for revising the Code in light of new association policies and issues facing the profession. None of the programs discussed between 2004 and 2006 had issues related to Intellectual Freedom that caused the need for revision to the Code of Ethics? That's fine. Personally, when I read the Code of Ethics, I can't see any need for changes to it. I guess my real question is, how much time and energy was spent in 2 years and a 2 hour meeting this year to come up with these 3 minor changes?

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Mary,
Welcome to witnessing administration in action! I agree with you that the Code seems pretty succinct & relevant today--even after 70 years. BUT, it does make sense that some additions may be warranted if they were truly looking at the changes in policy & issues that confront librarians today, rather than just red penning grammar. I noticed from your link that they also discussed "enforcement' of the Code...I would have liked to have seen them discuss ways that they will support those who follow it. Of course, that would have taken about 800 more hours!
Kathleen

Mary Alice Ball said...

Most of the changes are minor but article IV is the big one. Given all that is going on with open access and publishers suing for copyright violation I think there was a feeling that ALA's current code does not adequately communicate the profession's commitment to information users.

Proposed: "We recognize and advocate balance between the rights of intellectual property owners and the rights of information users."

Current: "We recognize and respect intellectual property rights."